Moving to Alberta – Register for AHCIP

Moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada

If you are moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada, you are eligible for AHCIP coverage on the first day of the third month following your date of arrival. You should register within 3 months of arrival. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage will be determined when you register.

Moving to Alberta from outside Canada / immigrants

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. You must register within 3 months of arrival. Newcomers to Canada are required to present a copy of their Canada entry document along with their other supporting documents.

To apply for coverage, complete and submit the Application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan Coverage (Form AHC0102), also available at an authorized registry agent location.

Arriving ahead of your dependants

If your dependants plan to join you in Alberta later, you should maintain coverage for your family and yourself at the location where your dependants still live. Contact us for more information if your dependants do not intend to move here within 12 months of your arrival.

If you apply for AHCIP coverage for yourself and your family within 3 months of their arrival, coverage will be effective on the first day of the third month after they arrive.