Health coverage outside of Alberta – Travel
Albertans are advised to always carry their personal health-care card, especially when outside Alberta in another province or territory in Canada.
- You will be asked to present your card when obtaining insured physician and hospital services. If you cannot provide a valid Alberta health card, you may be billed for the cost of the health services provided.
Alberta Health provides 2 sources of funding for Albertans who wish to receive insured medical treatment outside Canada:
- Reimbursement through the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) for basic health services, or
- Application through the Out-of-Country Health Services Committee.
When travelling outside Alberta...
- Know how long you can be absent from Alberta and still have AHCIP coverage.
- Know what services are insured (paid for) and uninsured (not paid for) under the AHCIP.
- Know what the AHCIP covers outside Alberta but within Canada.
- Know what the AHCIP covers outside Canada.
- Carry your AHCIP card.
- Buy travel medical insurance.