Are you eligible for AHCIP? Registration requirements

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). If you are a new or returning Alberta resident, you must register for AHCIP coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services.

All eligible Alberta residents with appropriate documentation will be provided coverage.

Eligible residents

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

  1. Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  2. Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  3. Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  4. Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.

NOTE: Individuals coming to Alberta on visas or permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage, depending on the type of immigration document they have, the length of time on the document and their commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.

Non-eligible residents

Non-eligible residents include members of the Canadian Armed Forces, federal penitentiary inmates, refugee claimants, refused or failed refugee claimants, and those with expired immigration documents.

Canadian Armed Forces and federal penitentiary inmates receive coverage from the Federal Government. Dependants of these non-eligible residents, who reside in Alberta, must be registered with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

Canadian children of refugee claimants, refused or failed refugee claimants, and those with expired immigration documents may be entitled to coverage under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan providing they reside in Alberta and meet specific requirements. Find out if your child is eligible.


Dependants are defined as:

  • Married spouses – must register together
  • Separated spouses – may register together or separately
  • Divorced spouses – must register separately
  • Adult interdependent partners – may register together or separately
  • Single children under the age of 21 and wholly dependent on the parent(s), including adopted children, foster children (if an income tax deduction was claimed) and wards of the court.
    • In cases of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children.
    • In cases of joint custody, children are registered on the account of one or the other parent, but not both, as agreed to by both parents.
  • Single children who are 21 years of age or older and wholly dependent on the parent(s) because of physical or mental disabilities
  • Single children who are under 25 years of age and in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute

Read more about status changes and updating your information