AHCIP coverage – Status and life changes

Life. We get older, maybe get married (or divorced), have children, study, retire, move, etc.. Regardless of what your status in life is and the changes that occur, it is important to update your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) information.

Up-to-date information is vital for obtaining health services in Alberta, so please ensure your health care registration information is current.

Some life changes that could impact your status and AHCIP coverage are:


Children are registered as dependants if they are:

  • Single children under the age of 21 and wholly dependent on the parent(s), including adopted children, foster children (if an income tax deduction was claimed) and wards of the court. In cases of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children. In cases of joint custody, children are registered on the account of one or the other parent, but not both, as agreed to by both parents;
  • Single children who are 21 years of age or older and wholly dependent on the parent(s) because of physical or mental disabilities;
  • Single children who are under 25 years of age and enrolled in three or more courses at an accredited educational institute.


Students may be eligible for coverage under a parent’s plan if they are:

  • Single dependent children under 21 years of age; or
  • Single dependent children under 25 years of age, who are in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute.

Students studying in a different province or territory

Students temporarily absent from their home province or territory for the purpose of attending an accredited educational institute, who intend to return to that province or territory after completing their studies, must remain covered by their home province or territory.

Staying in Alberta

If students intend to reside permanently in Alberta, coverage would begin the first day of the third month following the date they established permanent residence in Alberta (that is, the date they made the decision to stay in Alberta).

Turning 21

If you are between 21 and under 25 years of age you may be covered on your parent/legal guardian's account if you are single and in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute. If this is the case, please have your parent or guardian visit an authorized registry agent office or contact us.

If you are not a student, or you are a part-time student between the age of 21 and under 25 years of age, you must be set up on your own AHCIP account. If this is the case, you will need to visit an authorized registry agent office or contact us. Please note that if you are set up on your own AHCIP account, your personal health care number will remain the same. There are no premiums for AHCIP coverage.

Turning 65 – Seniors

When an Alberta resident reaches 65 years of age, the resident and all eligible dependants automatically qualify for premium-free Alberta Blue Cross Coverage for Seniors, sponsored by Alberta Health.

In order to be registered, seniors must provide proof of being 65 years of age or older such as a birth certificate, old age pension entitlement, passport, immigration record, or naturalization or citizenship certificate. Seniors who have submitted their proof of age declaration and been approved are eligible.

For more information on seniors benefits under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, contact us.

Marriage, adult interdependent relationships, divorce, separation


Married spouses must register together.

Adult interdependent relationships

Couples who are not married may register as adult interdependent partners. An adult interdependent partner is a person who lives together with another person in a relationship of interdependence:

  • For a continuous period of not less than three years; or
  • Of some permanence, if there is a child of the relationship by birth or adoption; or
  • If the registrant and partner have entered into an adult interdependent partner agreement.

An adult interdependent partner agreement is a written agreement between any two persons who are living together or intend to live together in a relationship of interdependence, as provided for in the Adult Interdependent Relationships Act.

A person may not enter into an adult interdependent partner agreement if the person:

  • Is a party to an existing adult interdependent partner agreement;
  • Is married; or
  • Is a minor, unless the minor is at least 16 years of age, and the minor's guardian(s) gave prior written consent.


Divorced spouses must register separately.


Separated spouses may register together or separately.