Submitting a claim to AHCIP for reimbursement

Submitting a claim to the AHCIP for services outside Alberta or Canada

To submit a claim for reimbursement of the cost of insured health services received outside Alberta or Canada, complete the applicable form (below) and submit it along with itemized statements and proof of payment. Claims for health costs incurred outside Alberta or Canada must be submitted within 365 days from the date of service. If the invoices are not in English, they must be translated before submission.

NOTE: Do not use these forms for the Out-of-Country Health Services Committee. Read more about the Out-of-Country Health Services Committee

To request the claims forms be mailed to you, contact the AHCIP.

Please send your completed claim form along with itemized statements and proof of payment by mail or fax to:

Alberta Health
Out-of-Country / Province Claims
P.O. Box 1360 Stn. Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3
Fax: 780-422-1958

Please allow 16 weeks for processing. Once you receive a letter and Statement of Account explaining the decision on your claim, you may make reference to the subscriber explanatory codes on your statement.

If you have questions on submitting claims to Health, call 780-422-1954.

Income tax credits

Some medical expenses not covered by government programs or private insurers may be included on your income tax return as a medical expense towards a tax credit. For more information, go to the Canada Revenue Agency website or call them toll-free at 1-800-959-8281.