What isn't covered by the AHCIP
Non-insured health services include, but are not limited to:
- Cosmetic surgery, such as panniculectomy (tummy tuck), bariatric (lap-band) surgery, and breast reduction (mammoplasty), unless deemed medically necessary
- Prescription drugs – Read about drug coverage and services
- Ambulance services
- Routine eye exams for residents 19–64 years of age
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Routine dental care and dentures
- Some immunizations. Contact Alberta Health Services about exceptions, or for information on immunizations, call Health Link at 811
- Mental health services received out-of-province or in non-publically funded facilities
- Services provided by a chiropractor, acupuncturist, licensed massage therapist, homeopath, naturopath, social worker, nutritionist and physicians’ assistant
- Vasectomy reversal
- Clinical psychologist services
- Anaesthetic charges for services not covered by the AHCIP. For dental service exceptions, please contact your dentist
- Third-party medical services, such as medicals for employment, insurance or sports
- Hearing aids, medical and surgical appliances, prosthetics, supplies, mobility devices, etc.
- Alberta Aids to Daily Living may offer assistance. Call 780-427-0731 in Edmonton, or toll-free in Alberta, dial 310-0000, then 780-427-0731
- Medical advice with a patient by telephone, unless otherwise stated in the Schedule of Medical Benefits or Schedule of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Benefits
- Experimental or research program procedures
- Medical-legal services
- Podiatry and optometry services obtained outside Alberta
- Dentistry services obtained outside Alberta, except for medically required oral surgery
Prescription drugs – coverage and services
Albertans are responsible for the cost of prescription drugs provided to them outside hospitals, auxiliary hospitals and nursing homes. All Albertans have access to prescription drug benefits through the Alberta government sponsored drug program.
Alberta Health strongly recommends that all Albertans obtain and maintain insurance coverage for prescription drugs. Government supported supplementary coverage is available through Alberta Blue Cross Non-Group coverage to cover a variety of health services not covered by the AHCIP.
Changes to insured services
Changes in services covered under the AHCIP can occur. It is therefore advisable to ask your physician or health care provider, or contact the AHCIP about coverage before proceeding with treatment.
The Alberta government has programs to assist low-income Albertans and their families with health services that are not covered by the AHCIP.