Health Information Standards Committee for Alberta (HISCA)
The Health Information Standards Committee for Alberta oversees and coordinates the development, adoption and dissemination of approved health information, data and technology standards within Alberta.
- HISCA ensures these standards align with approved provincial reporting standards, as well as national and international standards.
- HISCA fulfills these responsibilities through a process of collaboration and consensus building with stakeholders.
- HISCA reports to the Electronic Health Record Executive Sponsors Committee.
Terms of Reference
HISCA is responsible for:
- Overseeing and coordinating provincial activities related to the adoption, adaptation, revision, development and dissemination of health information and technology standards;
- Overseeing the implementation of health information and technology standards sponsored or co-sponsored by Alberta Health or Alberta Health Services;
- Facilitating communication among stakeholders regarding provincial standards development, approval and the implementation process;
- Advising standing steering committees and the Chief Information Officer of Alberta Health on provincial health and information technology standards as requested;
- Incorporating all provincial standards activities from the IM/IT Strategic Plan or IM/IT Governance Standards related priorities; and
- Promoting the adoption of approved standards. Read approved standards.
HISCA is composed of members from key stakeholder groups:
- Alberta Health
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta College of Pharmacists
- Canada Health Infoway
- Canadian Institute for Health Information
- College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- Health Information Management Association of Alberta
The HISCA chair is nominated by the members of the committee for a two-year term. The chair is appointed by the Electronic Health Record Executive Sponsors Committee.
Representatives are appointed by their respective organizations on invite from the HISCA chair. The members represent both the business and information technology perspectives of their organization.
Definition and approval process
The Health Information Standards Development Process document describes the process by which interested stakeholders make submissions to the Health Information Standards Committee for Alberta (HISCA). The objective is to establish health information standards and/or health technology standards for use across Alberta's health system.
- Read the Health Information Standards Development Process document (version 4.0)
Contact HISCA via email at firstname.lastname@example.org