Alberta Top Doc
- Find out more about the Top Doc and what he does
- Watch Dr. Talbot's TedX Edmonton presentation on "The Future of Health"
The Alberta Top Doc page provides information and resources on current health topics and issues. More information on various health topics is available using the left navigation.
Current health issues
- Stay safe and healthy this summer
- Immunization and vaccines
- Clean your hands
- Disease and conditions information
- Healthy eating and living info
- West Nile virus
- Air Quality Health Index
- Health advisories
- STIs – Don't You Get It
- More health information on MyHealth.Alberta.ca
- WiFi In Schools
In response to the growing rate of overweight and obese children in Canada, Canada’s Ministers of Health have launched Our Health Our Future: A National Dialogue on Healthy Weights – a key step in identifying actions to curb childhood obesity and to promote healthy weights.
- Our Health Our Future: A National Dialogue on Healthy Weights
- Curbing Childhood Obesity: A FPT Framework for Action to Promote Healthy Weights
- Check out the OCMOH report: "You Are What You Eat"
Need medical advice?
Call Health Link Alberta:
- Toll-free in Alberta, call 1-866-408-5465
- In Edmonton, call 780-408-5465
- In Calgary, call 403-943-5465
Top Doc videos on YouTube
Top Doc on flu shots
Dr. James Talbot encourages you to be healthy this flu season by getting immunized with a flu shot.
The Future of Health:
Top Doc at TEDxEdmonton
Alberta's Top Doc, Dr. James Talbot, spoke on the Future of Health at a TedX Edmonton talk in June 2013.
Dr. André Corriveau was Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health from 2009 to May 2012. The Top Doc videos below feature Dr. Corriveau, providing answers to questions on a number of seasonal illnesses, such as influenza, hantavirus, lyme disease, West Nile virus and more.
- Health Action News: Why get immunized for influenza – 2010
- Influenza immunization – 2009
- Spread joy, not germs this holiday season – 2009
- Influenza symptoms – 2009
- How is influenza spread? – 2009
- How to prevent the spread of influenza – 2009
- The importance of hand washing – 2009
- What is the right way to cover a cough or sneeze? – 2009
In the fall and winter, you have an increased chance of getting a cold, influenza, or other virus to make you sick. Cleaning your hands by washing or using sanitizer is a great way to reduce your chances of getting sick, or getting someone else sick.
West Nile virus
- How is West Nile virus spread? – 2010
- What are the symptoms of West Nile virus? – 2010
- How do you protect yourself against West Nile virus? – 2010
- Don't get ticked – 2010