Dental fees in Alberta
Dental Fee Guide – coming soon
A review of dental fees in Alberta found that fees are higher and rising faster than in other jurisdictions across Canada, all of which have a fee guide. To address this concern, the Alberta government and the Alberta Dental Association and College are developing a fee guide so Albertans can better compare prices and make well-informed decisions about their dental care.
- Read the Review of Dental Fees in Alberta report
- Read the Alberta Average Dental Fee report
- Read the letter from the Minister of Health to the Alberta Dental Association and College
Stay tuned for more information about the guide and when it will be posted.
Get a quote
Before any dental service is given, you can get a quote for how much it will cost. You can go to more than one dentist and get several cost estimates for the dental services you need.
As an example, a regular dental checkup involves reviewing your medical history and evaluating the structure of your head and neck, both inside and outside of your mouth. A checkup often includes the following services at an average total cost of $368.88:
- Examination and diagnosis
- Intraoral radiograph, bitewing (2 images)
- Scaling (2 units)
- Polishing (1 unit)
- Topical Fluoride
Payment for dental services
If you need dental care, it’s important to:
- Obtain several cost estimates for the dental services you need.
- Compare prices. The Alberta Average Dental Fee Report lists commonly used dental services, the average price for each service and a fee range.
- Contact your insurance provider to determine what’s covered by your insurance and how much you’ll need to pay.
- If you have supplementary health care benefits, contact your insurance provider.
- Low-income Albertans can call 310-0000
- Seniors who receive dental services through the seniors dental assistance program, call 1-877-644-9992
Dental services for low-income Albertans are provided through government-sponsored programs:
- Dental assistance for seniors program
- Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped
- Alberta Child Health Benefit
- Alberta Adult Health Benefit
- Income Support