Physical activity – Active living
Benefits of being activePhysically active lifestyles have been linked to a decreased likelihood of health problems, including type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, colon cancer, obesity and osteoporosis. Benefits of physical activity include:
- Better health;
- Improved fitness;
- Better posture and balance;
- Better self-esteem;
- Weight control;
- Stronger muscles and bones;
- Feeling more energetic;
- Relaxation and reduced stress;
- Continued independence in life;
- Lower risk of chronic disease; and
- Improved sleeping habits.
How to get active
Here are 10 tips for becoming physically active –
- Get started with some gentle stretching.
- Explore what types of community activities are available.
- Rely on the support of others – ask a friend to participate with you so you can encourage each other.
- Don't be overly ambitious, set realistic goals.
- Each day, pick a time that's convenient for you and commit to participating in some type of physical activity.
- Mark your activity times on a calendar.
- Try shorter, more frequent sessions rather than the occasional prolonged session.
- Make use of everyday movement opportunities such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Prepare yourself for a few lapses but don't give up.
- You cannot just eat your way to good health – exercise must go hand-in-hand with good nutrition.
Active living resources
- Alberta Centre for Active Living
- Be Fit for Life Network, Alberta's Source for Active Living – Provincial Fitness Unit
- Communities Choosewell
- Alberta Sport Connection
- Shape Alberta (Safe Healthy Active People Everywhere) – Information on getting kids active