Alberta's 5-Year Health Action Plan, 2010–2015
Becoming the Best
The Alberta government has a plan for your health care system.
It began with the creation of Alberta Health Services (AHS) as the single largest health delivery arm in Alberta, followed by a first-of-its-kind 5-year health funding plan and then an Alberta Health Act.
Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan (released November 2010) is the next important piece of work that continues our commitment to putting people first in our health care system.
We've heard the message loud and clear. Albertans want to know they can see a family doctor quickly and avoid long waits in the emergency department… that their elderly loved ones can get the support needed to live independently… that cancer treatment is available within days of being diagnosed.
They want the health system to focus on them and their families, and they want to feel satisfied that the health system is providing the best care possible.
Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan maps out how we will do that.
What it means for you
Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan outlines 5 key strategies to drive improvements in our health system. Specific actions and clear performance measures support the strategies that will help us achieve our ultimate goal of becoming the best-performing publicly funded health system in Canada.
Progress will be made in areas such as:
- Getting quicker access to surgeries and cancer treatment;
- Making more continuing care options available to seniors;
- Moving people in and out of emergency departments faster;
- Providing better access to family physicians and other health providers; and
- Getting Albertans healthier.
Accountability and transparency
Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan sets out clearly defined targets for health system performance and outlines how AHS, the Government of Alberta and their health care partners will work together to meet those targets. Albertans will be able to track the progress of the health system against these targets online.
What the Action Plan will achieve
Working with our health care partners, the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services are taking action to respond to Albertans’ concerns.
Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan will improve access to health services and shorten wait times. It will focus on a healthier Alberta. It will ensure that safe, quality care is available now and into the future. It puts people first by addressing the health needs of patients and families. It will help create the health system Albertans expect.
Under the plan Albertans can expect to see:
- Reduced wait times for hip surgery (60% reduction in wait times);
- Quicker access to radiation oncologists for patients (70% reduction in wait times);
- Faster treatment at emergency departments (90% of patients to be treated and admitted to hospital within 8 hours);
- Fewer people waiting in hospital for a continuing care space (68% reduction in people waiting for placement); and,
- A greater emphasis on keeping Albertans healthy (32% increase in child immunization rates).
How we’ll achieve it
Each strategy in Becoming the Best: Alberta’s 5-Year Health Action Plan is supported by specific actions to help us achieve our ultimate goal of becoming the best-performing publicly funded health system in Canada. We are already delivering on many of the actions.
Some longer term actions include:
- Adding 2 more radiation centres, 1 in Red Deer and 1 in Grande Prairie. These are in addition to the radiation centre opened in Lethbridge;
- Adding more continuing care beds on top of those listed under immediate actions; and
- Introducing new programs that promote healthy eating and active living.