Health research in Alberta
Access to administrative health data
Alberta Health is the custodian of extensive, but not exhaustive, administrative data/information about the health system in Alberta. The Health Analytics Branch processes internal and external data requests.
A number of administrative datasets are available to support Research and Information Requests. The Overview of Administrative Health Datasets provides details of these datasets.
Commonly Requested Data Elements lists data elements and their descriptions that are requested frequently. This point-and-click workbook can be used to develop preliminary data specifications, which should be included along with the application form to initiate a request.
Submitting a request for data
Requests for health information and data to support planning, policy development, and quality improvement projects can be made by submitting a Request Application Form and supporting documents to email@example.com.
Academic researchers can request data to support studies that have received research ethics board approval. Requests for administrative health data for research can be made by submitting a Request Application Form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional information on the process is available in the Research Request Process
- Details on data disclosure are included in the Data Disclosure Guidelines .
- Request Application Form (docx)
- Overview of Administrative Health Datasets
- Commonly Requested Data Elements (xlsx)
- Research Request Process
- Data Disclosure Guidelines
- Schedule of Medical Benefits Current and Historical Codes and Desciptions (xlsx)
- Physician Specialty Codes and Description (xlsx)
- Cohort Template (xlsx)