Improving patient care
- Read the agreement amendments
- Read the news release: Doctorsí deal to improve patient care, slow spending growth November 18, 2016
Key points in the amending agreement include:
- a needs-based Physician Resource Plan that will help place doctors in the communities that need them;
- primary care improvements, including new information technology and data-sharing;
- new compensation models for some primary-care physicians, as well as academic physicians, to reward time and quality of care given to patients rather than just the number of services provided;
- new physician peer review and accountability mechanisms; and
- the linking of certain benefits and compensation increases to performance on other cost-saving measures.
Physician resource planning
Through the amending agreement, a needs-based Physician Resource Plan will be developed. The plan will identify the supply, distribution and cost of physician resources that Albertans need.