Providing care for Syrian refugees and billing information
Syrian refugees arriving in Alberta will immediately have access to health care services. Until they receive their provincial health care card, refugees will be covered for up to one year under the Government of Canada’s Interim Federal Health Program. This program repays the cost of care to health-care providers, such as doctors, dentists, hospitals and pharmacies.
Reimbursement under the Interim Federal Health Program
To be reimbursed for services provided under the Interim Federal Health Program, health-care providers must:
- be registered Medavie Blue Cross providers,
- determine client eligibility before providing services, and
- submit claims
Information for pharmacists
Prescription medications listed on the Alberta Drug Benefit List will be covered for Syrian refugees for up to 12 months under the Interim Federal Health Program.
- Information and resources for pharmacists providing care to refugees is on the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association website.
- College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) – Refugee health care resource to assist physicians with health care requirements for the Syrian refugees now arriving in Canada
- Read about Syrian refugee health care insurance and health care
Resources for health professionals who are working with Syrian refugees, including translated materials and practice guides are available on the Alberta Health Services website.