In the next 10 years, the number of seniors is going to increase by more than 50%. By 2031, it is projected that there will be more than 923,000 seniors – meaning about 1 in 5 Albertans will be a senior. This will affect the way we build infrastructure, the way we get around, and even the way we shop for goods and services. That's why now is a great time for us to make our communities more age-friendly.
Age-friendly communities promote healthy and active aging. People in age-friendly communities are supported in maintaining their independence and have access to the community supports and services they require.
- Each Alberta community is unique and needs to take its own path in becoming age-friendly.
- Watch the Age-Friendly Alberta video »
Whether you are an individual, community leader or organization interested in helping your community to become more age-friendly, the information provided here will provide you with the tools and resources necessary to help you support your community in becoming more age-friendly.
Read more about age-friendly communities
- The age-friendly movement
- Benefits of age-friendly communities
- Key features of an age-friendly community
- Steps to becoming more age-friendly
- Tools and resources for becoming age-friendly
- Age-friendly Alberta recognition program
- Alberta age-friendly information workshops
- Age-friendly businesses
- Funding opportunities
- Age-friendly links