Education Property Tax Assistance for Seniors program
Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program
The Education Property Tax Assistance for Seniors program will be discontinued December 31, 2013.
The program is income-tested and provides a rebate to assist eligible senior homeowners with the year-to-year increases in the education portion of their property taxes.
To be eligible for the Education Property Tax Assistance for Seniors program, you must:
- be 65 years of age or older,
- be an Alberta resident,
- own residential property in Alberta,
- have had an increase in the education portion of your property taxes, and
- meet the income eligibility requirements
A “base year” is set to determine eligibility for a rebate. The rebate amount is the difference in the education tax amount between the base year and the amount in following years.
For most seniors enrolled in the program the base year is 2004. If you turned 65 after 2004, your base year will be the year before you turned 65. In general, if you have moved since 2004, your base year will be established using your first full year’s property tax notice.
- Rebate cheques are mailed starting in the summer after the property tax notices have been issued.
If you have already applied for Seniors Financial Assistance, you are already enrolled for the Education Property Tax program and do not need to apply. If you have not applied for Seniors Financial Assistance you will need to apply so we can confirm your eligibility for this program.
Education Property Tax information is provided automatically by some municipalities. If we cannot automatically obtain this information from the municipality, we will send you a letter requesting your property tax information.
To apply for the Education Property Tax Assistance for Seniors program, complete the application form and send it to us.
Education Property Tax Assistance for Seniors Program
PO Box 3100
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W3
- Download the application form, or
- Call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992 for an application form to be mailed to you.