Alberta Seniors Benefit program
The Alberta Seniors Benefit program provides support in addition to the federal benefits received under Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Federal Allowance and the GST credit. It is based on income and provides monthly benefits to eligible seniors.
You are eligible for the Alberta Seniors Benefit if you:
- Are 65 years of age or older
- Have lived in Alberta for at least 3 months immediately before applying
- Are a Canadian citizen, or have been admitted into Canada for permanent residence (landed or sponsored immigrants)
- Have an income level within the limits allowed by the program
You only need to apply once for the Alberta Seniors Benefit program. However, it is your responsibility to notify the program if:
- You move to a new address
- Your marital status changes
- Your annual income changes
- You do not file an individual income tax return
- Your eligibility for the federal Old Age Security pension changes
If you have applied for the Alberta Seniors Benefit program and are dissatisfied with the decision made on your file, you can appeal the decision.
You are eligible to begin receiving benefits the month of your 65th birthday.
If you are a new Alberta resident, you are eligible to begin receiving benefits the later of the following dates:
- The month of your 65th birthday, or
- The month following three full months of permanent residency in Alberta (e.g., If you moved to Alberta on July 15, you are eligible to receive benefits on October 1)
Benefits are retroactive for up to 11 months prior to the date your completed application form is received by Alberta Seniors Benefit, but not earlier than your 65th birthday or three months of permanent residency in Alberta.
You are no longer eligible to receive benefits:
- The month after you leave Alberta to live permanently in another province or country
- The month following six months of temporary absence from Alberta
- In the month following when death occurs
Monthly payment schedule
The benefit year of the Alberta Seniors Benefit program begins July 1 of each year and ends June 30 of the following year.
- January – Friday, January 25, 2013
- February – Friday, February 22, 2013
- March – Friday, March 22, 2013
- April – Wednesday, April 24, 2013
- May – Monday, May 27, 2013
- June – Monday, June 24, 2013
- July – Thursday, July 25, 2013
- August – Monday, August 26, 2013
- September – Tuesday, September 24, 2013
- October – Friday, October 25, 2013
- November – Monday, November 25, 2013
- December – Tuesday, December 17, 2013