Reporting abuse

The Protection for Persons in Care Act (PPCA) requires that every individual who has reasonable grounds to believe there is or has been abuse involving a client to report that abuse as soon as possible.

Clients are not required to report abuse they have experienced unless they choose to do so. If a client decides to report abuse they must make that report no later than two years from the date the alleged abuse occurred.

Protection for persons reporting abuse

The person reporting the abuse is called a complainant. They must provide their name and contact information along with details about the alleged incidents. Anonymous reports cannot be accepted.

Protection for Persons in Care (PPC) does not reveal the name of the complainant to any party except in particular circumstances. The complainantís identity will be disclosed in the following situations:

  • If a person initiates an appeal of the directorís decision under the PPCA.
  • If PPC refers an abuse report to the police.†
  • If PPC refers an abuse report to a professional association or other committee, body or person for investigation.†
  • When required by law to do so.

Where to report abuse

There are four options for reporting abuse.

1. Report abuse to the Protection for Persons in Care office

  • To report abuse, call the PPC reporting line at 1-888-357-9339. NOTE: This line is not a crisis line and operates weekdays from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.†
  • To report abuse in writing, mail or fax it to:

Alberta Health
Attn: Protection for Persons in Care
Station M, Box 476
Edmonton, AB T5J 2K1
Fax: 780-415-8611

2. Report abuse to the police

If a personís safety or well-being is in immediate danger, or if the abuse is criminal in nature, call your local police service.

3. Report abuse to a professional regulatory body

If the incident involves a health professional such as a physician or nurse, or a member of a health discipline such as an emergency medical technician or acupuncturist, the abuse may be reported directly to the applicable regulatory body.

4. Report abuse to the Mental Health Patient Advocate

Report abuse to the Mental Health Patient Advocate at 780-422-1812 if the client is or was under one or two admission certificates under the Mental Health Act or if the client is or was subject to a Community Treatment Order at the time the alleged abuse occurred.

PPC involvement if abuse is reported to the police or another body

When a complainant reports abuse directly to a police service, to the Mental Health Patient Advocate or to a regulatory body, the reporting requirements of the PPCA have been met. In such cases, the PPC office has no role.

If abuse is not reported

Under the PPCA, failing to report abuse is an offence. Other offences that are related to reporting abuse include making a report of abuse knowing it to be false and making a report of abuse maliciously or without reasonable grounds.

  • Individuals who are guilty of an offence may be liable to a fine of up to $10,000.

If the individual who failed to report abuse is a registered member of a governing body, the PPCA requires a complaints officer to notify that governing body of that individualís failure to report abuse.