Licensing of supportive living accommodations
The standards help ensure quality accommodations and services are provided, and licensing is used to ensure and promote that the standards are being followed.
Who needs a licence?
The Supportive Living Accommodation Licensing Act requires that supportive living settings are licensed if they provide accommodation and support services for 4 or more individuals, and provide or arrange for services related to safety and security, and offer or arrange for at least one meal a day or housekeeping services.
A new or renewal licence must be applied for if the facility:
- Is new or unlicensed – apply for an initial licence
- Has an existing licence that is expiring – renew a licence
- Has changed ownership – apply for an initial licence
- Has moved to a new location – apply for an initial licence
Nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals are not licensed under the Supportive Living Accommodation Licensing Act. However, they are still required to follow the long-term care accommodation standards.
Apply for an initial licence
Complete the Eligibility for Licensing Supportive Living Accommodation form and return it to Alberta Health at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail.
After receiving the Eligibility for Licensing Supportive Living Accommodation form, Alberta Health will determine if the setting needs to be licensed. If a licence is required, a licence application/licence renewal form will be sent to the individual or organization who applied for a licence.
The application must be completed and submitted with the following documents:
- Confirmation of current corporate status of the operator(s) of the supportive living accommodation, if applicable
- Confirmation of insurance coverage
- A copy of the:
- Most recent health inspection
- Safety code approval for a new or renovated supportive living accommodation
- Zoning approval, and
- Most recent fire inspection report for pre-existing buildings
Renew a licence
Alberta Health will automatically send a licence application/licence renewal form to the individual or organization that holds the current licence before it expires.
The application must be completed and submitted with proof of liability insurance.
- For more information, contact us.
Appealing a licence decision
A person or an accommodation operator who has been refused a licence or whose licence has been cancelled or suspended has the right to appeal the decision.
- For more information, go to the Appeals Secretariat website